Individual attention and care have helped Kearney Funeral Homes, Inc., achieve a distinguished level of professionalism. To Kearney Funeral Homes' family and staff, people are not just customers, they are an extended member of the Kearney Family. Kearney Funeral Homes offer a variety of services and merchandise to facilitate the difficult task of planning your specific funeral needs.
Kevin K. Kearney Supervisor Funeral arrangements are made with a licensed funeral director in a comfortable, no-pressure atmosphere. The expert care provided is guaranteed to be in concert with your family's traditions. Kearney Funeral Homes understand the importance of choice and personalization to make the service meaningful and your involvement is essential to ensure that the ceremony is a representation of the person for whome the arrangements are made.
The first of our locations, the Thomas P. Kearney Funeral Home, Inc., in Old Forge, was founded in 1954. In 1979, our branch funeral home was acquired with the purchase of John Durkan Funeral Home in Scranton. Operating by the motto of 'sincere and dignified service', we take great pride in annually serving the most families in the greater Northeast Pennsylvania area.
Our History ~ Sincere & Dignified Service Since 1954
The Old Forge location was started in 1954 by the late Thomas P. Kearney (1925-1994). He was a graduate of the former Eckels Mortuary School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and prior to entering Mortuary School, Thomas served with the U.S. Navy during WWII and the Korean War. He was assisted in the operation by his late wife Janice (1926-1995) and his late father Thomas J. Kearney (1898-1981) who was an Army Veteran of WWI and a coal miner by profession. Thomas was an active member of the community during his years as owner.
In 1975 his son, Kevin K. Kearney, president and supervisor, joined him upon graduation from the Simmons School of Embalming and Mortuary Science in Syracuse, New York. Prior to Simmons, Kevin attended Penn State University. Kevin is also a very active member of the community in numerous clubs and organizations.
In 1979, Tom and Kevin acquired the former Durkan-Cuff Funeral Home of West Scranton, Pennsylvania, from John Cuff, a licensed Funeral Director and son-in-law of the former owner, Margaret Durkan, also a licensed Funeral Director and daughter of the former owner. The Scranton operation was started in 1895 by the late Honorable John F. Durkan, also former Mayor of Scranton. Durkan Funeral Home operated funeral homes in three seperate locations: West Scranton, Central City Scranton and its third location in New York City. The latter two locations were closed some years before the Kearney's purchase.
Around the turn of the century horse drawn hearses and horses were kept on the 2nd floor of the current Scranton Funeral Home when wakes were always held in the family residence.
In 1984, Tom and Kevin also opened the Kearney Monument Company based then and now in Taylor, Pennsylvania.
In 2005, after attending both Villanova University and the University of Scranton, the third generation of Kearney's, Kevin P. Kearney, joined the firms as a Pennsylvania Licensed Funeral Director after graduation from his father's alma mater, Simmons School of Mortuary Science. He is currently the Supervisor of the Scranton location along with his affiliation with the Old Forge Funeral Home. Upon his father's retirement in 2012, Kevin took over daily operations as corporate president. While expanding the funeral homes' service area and humbly serving an ever-increasing number of new families annually, Kevin expanded the monument company to offer everything from full service engraving to mausoleums. Also an active member of the community, he and his wife, the former Natalie Wilchinski of Laflin, are members of Divine Mercy Roman Catholic Church in Scranton. They currently reside in Taylor.